Facebook - Like

Monday, September 14, 2009

Blind-sighted

Everyone has a blind spot. It’s true! We did this experiment in high school that proved it. We were told to place a dot somewhere on an index card. (I’m not sure where)…Then we had to move the card in front of our eyes. In one particular position, the dot disappeared. The reason, my teacher explained, is that everyone has a blind spot. Your imagination “fills in” the spot using information from the immediate surroundings. Because the immediate surroundings were blank, the dot disappeared.

In a similar way, I think that the heart has a blind spot too. Our hearts fill it in with what we know or don’t know about someone’s character. I’m trying to become aware of my heart’s blind spot(s)…so I don’t miss anything obvious. Something that’s there, something I need to know. In doing so, I hope to know truth; I want to judge fairly; I want to be wise and discerning; I want to surround myself with pure and noble hearts.

5 comments:

  1. noble pursuit. if i may be so bold to ask: what drives you to seek such protectiton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could be wrong here, but I teach Biology and we still do the same thing with the Index card. Only we do it not to show a blind spot but which eye is your domiant eye. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. got this in an email today...made me think of your blog post....passing on what has already ministered to me.

    Philemon 1:12 (New International Version)
    I am sending him – who is my very heart – back to you.

    DAY 9 CHALLENGE:

    This is a beautiful verse about the love that Paul has for his new “son” Onesimus. (him) and the beginning of his plea to Philemon (you), to welcome Onesimus back.

    Charles R. Swindoll gives us an incredible picture of this verse in “The Living Insights Study Bible” by saying “A heart kept permanently closed keeps people at a distance. A heart that risks being open invites them in, has nothing to hide, promotes generosity, prompts vulnerability, demonstrates love. If you wish to leave this earth a better place than you found it, bringing out the best in others, you’ll want to give your heart.”

    Paul takes a huge risk here and opens his heart wide open to be attacked, but also to be a blessing and to be blessed. There is so much sacrifice here and isn’t that what love is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, thanks for your feedback! Love the stuff you sent. I guess I left what I wrote a bit unfinished. I did not mean to imply that I want to shut out people or only be safe, actually the opposite. I tend to go through periods where I'm overly cautious, or those where I'm way too trusting to the point of being naive. I don't think either of these extremes is healthy. I don't want to not love someone because I'm filtering them through a perception of mistrust. I don't want to expect too much or attribute qualities that aren't there because I'm filling in the gaps with how I want someone to be. Neither of those things will help me to love someone where they are and be the friend that I need to be. I also do not want to convey that 'pure and noble hearts' means that I expect only perfect friends. We are all broken in some way, I know that. I suppose what I mean is that I want to be spurred on by others who seek truth, who are honest, who are loyal. Not everyone can be that all of the time. People will fail. I will fail. I just want to see more of what's real and less of what I'm limiting myself to by my prejudices, fears, or ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shari, I bet I am remembering the eye thing incorrectly. Does the dot disappear though? I could have sworn it did. In anycase, I tried to replicate it at home, and couldn't do it. So sad!

    Cristina...I just realized I spelled your name wrong a second ago. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete